VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hormones....these suck!

So this is the very reason I decided to write a blog. Viggo and his hormones. As previously mentioned he is 8years old and fully mature. Being that Viggo is our only parrot or bird for that matter he does not have a companion of the feathered kind. Viggo bonded to me from the get-go, kind of expected since I feed him, clean his cage and shower him. He does enjoy the company of everyone in our home (hubby and two daughters) as well as visitors, but I am his favorite person.

Favorite went to a whole new level recently when Viggo decided that not only did he love me but wanted to show me that he wanted me as a mate. One day in spring of this year he decided to 'hump' my arm. Yes I said it....hump! I know, I know, he's a bird right...birds shouldn't do this...dogs do! I can hear it now...'ewwwww'. I said the same, trust me. In the past he would 'hump' the couch, and I didn't make a big deal as I had read about this. However when he decided I would become his mate I needed to stop it before he felt it was okay. Persistant brat he is!

Initially I changed his diet as I know how diet/weight can trigger hormones. I cut back on the protein and offered mainly fresh raw fruits and veggies, with sprouts of course. After about a month that hadn't made a big difference.

So I tried offering stuffed toys as I read that sometimes parrots will release their frustrations by doing the 'dance' with the toy. Viggo wouldn't have it. In fact he screamed at the toy. I tried a few different ones hoping one would catch his eye but nadda. Then when he would attempt the deed on me I would offer the toy, hoping that he would draw a connection and leave me alone. Zilch.

I have tried cold showers to chill off his hormones (not cold but warm). He will preen after and that keeps him busy for a bit, but then...BAM he is right back to me and wanting to love me. Sigh...this is where the frustration comes in.

I have tried putting him back into his cage for a cool off period but it never fails, as soon as he's out, it is right back to me, or he screams at me wanting out. Of course I ignore the screams so I don't encourage this behavior and only reinforce positive behavior when he is quiet. I understand birds will make noise and trust me he does but I never give attention to screams of this nature.

I should mention that Viggo and I did clicker training years ago. I found it helpful for teaching recall as Viggo is fully flighted, I also used it early on to help with his stepping up without biting. When he went through his toe tapping he would bite when he stepped up and through clicker training I was able to teach him to come without the bite. Happy lady I was.

I have always made it habit since initial training that when he flies to me I bring him back to his cage or stand until called. I must have made 25+ trips to his cage in less than 2 hours today.

I googled 'hormonal parrot' after locking Viggo in his cage. By this point he'd landed on my head, grabbed firmly to my blonde hair and proceeded to try and do the do with my head. I had to find a solution. I found there was more information about female parrots than males however I did read that by using a night cage, smaller and covered and put into a dark and quiet room for a solid 12 hours of sleep can help with hormones. I've never used a night or bedtime cage for Viggo. In fact I never covered his cage for years as he would scream endlessly when I tried. I did manage to get past that and I do now cover his cage at night but we have the cage in the hub of activity zone. I can always hear him behind the cover doing his 'closet talking' or 'peanut gallery' as we call it.

So this is what I am trying next. I'll post updates. My fingers are crossed that it helps. If you are following this blog and have a parrot that has been through anything similar I would love to hear what if anything has worked for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment