VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Positives - Always a Good Thing!


I cannot get over the complete turn around, 360...if I knew it would have been so easy with the addition of a sleep cage and a few extra changes I would have gone to this extent much sooner!

Life has been pretty peachy. Viggo is playing with his toys, eating like his usual self, keeping busy and his activity is through the roof. Lots of flight time lately but the out time is not centered on being with me which I find fantastic! He's focused on flight, he's taking new risks within reason and by risk I do not mean flying towards doors or windows but rather taking new routes. This is something I have found in very recent days. New flight paths or on going long flights, up 2 levels and around corners, down halls and into a bedroom sometimes then turning to come back. It's amazing to say the least. Beautiful to witness! Our open floor plan I think was a meant to be for Viggo.


I have added in his lighting which he seems to enjoy. Diet is fresh raw uncooked with fruit cut back. I've recently taken to adding in small portions of new or rarely fed fruits. Dragon fruit, passion fruit, star fruit. I've been on the hunt for fresh figs, perhaps a trip to the farmers market is in order.

Speaking of food...on the Eclectus group recently there was the neatest ways to prepare and feed our fids being shared. Credit to the member if you read this, I cannot recall the name but her flare for feeding was bar none super impressive and gave me an idea to try one way myself and see how Vig took to it. She should really start a blog/recipe collection with pictures. I would share it in a heart beat. In fact I may ask her if I can copy and share here!

So the picture on the left is her prep (I snagged the pic) which is obviously for more than one bird, and my prep is on the right in a dish ready to feed. I packed his chop inside and sprouts on top. My pepper was not evenly cut or balanced I guess.

                                     

Viggo appeared to enjoy this presentation or at least the change in the way he was being fed. Variation is important and gives an abundance of foraging options. Having to work at larger pieces of food is a good thing. I have been weaving chard and kale regularly through the bars of his cage lately as well as an added foraging bonus to keep his beak busy. Doing different and fun things are a huge positive for both us and our beautiful birds, it keeps it interesting and peeks their attention. Same old gets boring for everyone after time, especially so for these very intelligent creatures.

While out recently on a trip to the pet store to browse...I do this often in search of bargains and new neat toys or puzzle toys...I came across a handsome baby Eclectus. This little boy was doing the baby cry for food that I loved so much when Viggo was a baby. It sure pulled on my heart strings and made me want to just take him home. The price was outrageous however and the little guy had never been allowed to fledge, his wings trimmed early to prevent flight. What I noticed above everything was his unique tail....on the male subspecies the yellow band varies in the degree of width and brightness. This little man did not have a yellow band. His band was red!!! Now I have seen images in books and online of the mutations, pied, blue, even a yellow Eclectus but I have never seen a red band on a males tail. There are so many different mutations and differences when they are all compared and diet seems to play some part to my understanding but seeing this was pretty neat.



When I inquired about it the store was unable to tell me his subspecies, age or otherwise. I put the picture out to the Eclectus Group that I am part of and was told that others have seen this mysterious and unique red band as well however in their experience it molted out in the first year and turned yellow. Viggo's bird sitter informed me that a breeder would likely see it and in all likely hood scoop him up to utilize this unique feathering into a breeding program. In any case I admired the little mans tail and thought about it at great length.

 
Well, yet another positive update. More intention to get out and find new puzzles to stump my big green....and all the more reason to research and try things others suggest when going through struggles with our bird brains. Look what positives come out of a little effort :)
 
Perhaps next update I will be able to share a picture of Viggo in his harness!

No comments:

Post a Comment