VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 Hormones


So like most things that require me to take time and sit to accomplish them, this blog fell to the wayside. Life keeps me on my toes and busy.

Viggo is doing well although we still struggle with hormones. I have had the debate with myself if I should get him a girlfriend or not and I always resort to not having had females here before and knowing how much he avoided them. While he is older he still seems to have a fear of the ladies and I sort of don't blame him. I share that little fear having been bitten more than once.

For those with hormonal boys did you bring in a female? If so was she older or younger than your boy and how did it work out?

We had 2 older females (a Red Sided and a Vos X Grand) and Viggo was terrified of both girls. Granted he was a baby then but we had one up until he was about 6years old and still at that point he wanted nothing to do with them. So I am very leery about considering the addition of one given the past. Now males on the other hand....he loves his green buddy's!

So we continue down the path of trying to find ways to keep busy and occupied and distracted from wanting to love my arm or head or foot or whatever his feet can grasp.

I mentioned using Clicker Training in the past with great results. I lent out my book and it's in great use so I am in need of purchasing another. I am wondering though how to utilize Clicker Training for hormones? Should I just occupy him with new tricks and commands in hopes he is distracted?

His hormones don't seem near as aggressive or abundant as they were when I started this blog. With dietary changes during hormonal times as well as sleep changes and moving things around in his cage and keeping him busy with puzzles these I feel have all lessened his hormonal behavior to some extent.

The hormones and display he is doing is only natural and he is without a mate. I don't feel it's appropriate to punish these behaviors as he cannot help it. I just don't wish to be his object of affection.

So in starting a new year and hoping to keep this blog more updated and helpful to myself and others I am hoping to hear comments or what works for others during hormonal times?

Did you get your boy a female?
Change Diet?
Lighting?
Sleep?
Cage changes with toys ect?
More showers? Less Showers?
Less Handling?

I am thankful that there's no screaming, biting or other issues just the little naughty...haha.

I look forward to hearing from other Ekkie owners.

1 comment:

  1. Please feel free to comment. I look forward to advice, stories and more that could assist myself & Viggo!

    ReplyDelete