VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Monday, January 27, 2014

Re Homing

So I thought I would write specifically about re homing. I saw a post the other day on Facebook and liked what it said, that being the case I shared it.


That said one could call my a hypocrite.

I got Viggo almost 10years ago when my daughters were just babies. We had a female for a short time before Viggo arrived as well. She was more my husbands redhead. I worked and my life was as busy then as I thought it would ever be. What could be busier than toddlers right? We have a way of feeling that life will not change or in the present assume life cannot get busier because we cannot see the future. Then life was busy and I felt like super woman, I was able to balance everything when I wasn't constantly on the go. So having fallen in love with the species I took in two more that were being re homed as their owners had life changes. It all happened pretty fast and I never gave it much thought, I just had a big heart and wanted to help.

I loved all 4. Three of the 4 were manageable for me. I could handle them without issues. The 4th was the female we had before Viggo arrived. She LOVED my husband but that was about the extent of it. Towards me she would growl, lunge, scream. I struggled at cleaning her cage and general care of her. If I used a perch to pick her up she would still try and bite and when she did it hurt like nothing I have ever felt. This female did not fly, she chased Viggo and our other male who was a plucker and could not fly either. Often the other male would jump from the top of his cage to the floor below to escape her and I worried that he would get hurt badly. This female was broody and she too was a plucker although we called her our seasonal plucker as she would pluck it seemed when she was hormonal and put on extra weight. I found great pride in journaling for her too and our attempts at keeping her feathered and hormones balanced. The females seemed to get on great together and our males enjoyed one another's company but when the one female would go after the boys all hell would break out and as they all grew in age I found that I was trying to dissolve more flock issues.

As the years went by my husband started working longer hours, our daughters started taking part in sports and when it came to ringette it meant weekends away for tournaments. I was coaching as well. I ordered stacking  cages for the 4, set up a bird room so that they could be out but contained. The doors were glass so I could monitor them. I tried clicker training to work on the struggles I had with the one female but she wanted no part of it. The stacking cages saved on space but didn't help with the flock issues. I was always trying to save the one male from the female and she was always in one of the others cages eating their food which seemed to just instigate fights. My attempt at the bird room to give balance and get them out of their cages more since we were so busy just stirred up new issues.

I started to really feel stressed by all the work cleaning, feeding, sorting out flock issues as well as keep up with our dogs, sick old cat and everything else around the house and life in general. My girls were in school now and homework in the evening before sports consumed our free time. Then on top of everything I was diagnosed with a health issue and really felt that I needed to find balance for myself and to cut back the portions I had filled my plate with.

Our broody female that loved my husband was the first to be re homed. I made sure that she as per our agreement went back to my friend and her breeder. In the months that followed I still felt that keeping up with 3 was a struggle and so I had two go off to a friends to see if during a busy time that would help. When they returned I realized that I needed to make a decision I just couldn't keep up and life was still getting busier. The friend who had watched my 2 was unable to keep them despite loving them so much as well. So I found a home for the other male. I loved this boy so very much, he was an amazing talker, so very smart and despite being a plucked boy was as handsome as any bird, his personality was so bright! I found him a home that even I was jealous of.

I did not re home because of behavioural issues. It was purely because I could not keep up. I took my time in searching for new owners. I made sure that each was comfortable and would be spoiled and loved and asked if I could stay in touch. That helped me greatly and I also asked that in the event anything should change for the new owner that they let me know so I could take them back to avoid house hopping. Our other female went to a girlfriend of mine. So I knew all were in only the best hands.

Viggo stayed and eventually I looked at him one day and felt so sad for him. Unlike the other 3, our home was the only home he'd ever known. Here was this stunning boy spending 100% of his time for the most part in his cage with a hello in passing or when being fed. The rest of the time we were all coming and going. Friends would swing by to help us with letting our dogs out but birds are different. Once you have one you realize how not everyone likes birds. Viggo was very adaptable and seemed to be okay with just being in the house in his cage. I however felt like the worlds worst owner, a complete failure. Here was I, a person who loves animals, who swore that I would never give up, re home or otherwise any animal in my life. What was I doing? I love animals and felt as though I was abusing this beautiful creature by keeping him caged and not giving him time he deserved.

Had I known when I first got birds that my life would get so busy and that I would feel so overwhelmed at some point I think I would have seriously reconsidered. How can one know what life will bring though right?

So I re homed Viggo too and like the rest I made the agreement that if it didn't work he was to return to me.

6 or so months past and I got a call that it wasn't working and he needed to come back. I've found with a lot of people that this is the case. One does not realize how much work they are, especially Eclectus with their specific diet. We all admire them for their beauty and long to have a talking bird and then realize everything else that comes along and it can feel over whelming. So without hesitation Viggo returned. He was happy, content and I tried so hard to make sure he got more time and attention out of his cage.

My girls continued to grow and life just kept getting busier. I was in a car accident and injured and pain remained. Cramping, aching pain in my arm, numbness, jaw seizing, migraines that seemed to come every few days and just grew with intensity. I struggled with daily activities.  I felt that I was failing in every way at life and was struggling every day with myself. So again I re homed Viggo.

Each time I re homed Viggo I was thankful for the contact I had with the new owners, but like the rest I missed him. Once again it was about 6 months of him in his new home and this time I got an email that it wasn't working. Without hesitation he returned. He promptly gave me a kiss and said 'love you' and I knew that we were his home, he belonged here and even if our lives were busy and he had to be in his cage he would adapt if we would adapt to keep him.

Viggo needed us.

So I made a vow that I would do what it took and I told Viggo that he would have to understand if times came when he didn't get much out time. I board him when we go away so he is with others and our fave bird person. I am taking steps to work with him so that everything balances for all of us.  Viggo has adjusted to our hectic life.I am no longer coaching since the accident but I am still on the go. I am doing the best I can to balance life for everyone. I have found ways to cut back on cleaning, like covering the base of his cage bars with newsprint to save time from having to scrub. I got him a new cage that wipes down better too. I have learned ways to assist with balance like making chop when I have free time and freezing so I always have food prepared on hand. Because Viggo has never been routine with his time out of the cage or schedule in general he doesn't scream or demand like some do. I also put puzzles into his cage now to give him something to amuse him when time with us lacks. These little things that take almost NO time have been life savers in keeping me from feeling overwhelmed.

Life is insane. Some days I feel like I am failing, drowning and over my head in life. I have a daughter going into high school and one in junior high. Homework has increased and we are on the go every night. Nights we find that we have nothing are still consumed as those are our chance to fit in grocery shopping and catch up on everything nights.

I used to volunteer for the SPCA here and it was no shock that when I got my own place I would have animals in my life and a big heart to help others. I have 3 dogs (Chihuahua X that is 14yrs old, Poodle that is 8yrs old and rescue mix larger breed that is 5yrs old), we also have a soon to be 3 year old cat. 4 years ago I put my old cat down. He was just short of turning 16. He'd dealt with his fair share of health issues and had been medicated for years. Growing up all my pets lived to good old ages. I had a cat that lived to be 23! I have never been one to ever give up and the decision to re home did not come without a lot of consideration and grief towards myself. Even with our chihuahua being a real bratty alpha I worked through the behavioural issues.

I do not judge others for their choices in life as I have had to make my own. I shared the above post however because there are a lot of people who do not think before they buy or buy because something is popular. They get the cute puppy and re home when it gets big, or when the kitten turns into a cat and scratches the couch. People get pets and then have kids and re home. Unless for allergy reasoning I don't get it, kids and pets can live together. I get when people struggle with medical issues and need to re home. For many re homing is the hardest thing in the world. I can say that first hand! For others though like the free adds, they drive me mental as do the adds I see with old animals needing to be re homed. My heart breaks for these old animals who have to go through huge life changes in a frail time of their lives and maybe it's because the cost of their care and medication is too much or the owner fears the inevitable outcome. I just cannot understand. I have held every one of my pets at the end of their lives and as they left. I wanted to be there so they knew love until the last moment and comfort in my arms. It is never easy.

I guess I am a hypocrite. At one time I took in animals that needed homes and love. I did truly care for each one, even the demon red head and I say this with a smile. She was a brat but I loved her despite. I got over my head and needed help. To this day if I got a call for anyone of the other 3 Eclectus I would open my door to them without hesitation. I did what I felt was best for them and my family but I will always be here should they need me.

So all I am saying is for those considering any kind of pet, especially a parrot that lives lifetimes longer than dogs and cats, think, research, try fostering before committing. They are amazing creatures. Viggo adapted, I think many will and it's more us who feel bad, guilty ect. They are a lifetime commitment and one should seriously consider making that full commitment before opening their lives to any pet. If allergies are possible get tested before or visit someone with the animal you are considering and spend a fair amount of time in their home and around the animal to see how you react.

I cannot imagine a life without pets being part of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment