VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Friday, January 10, 2014

Pellets

I know a lot of Eclectus owners are against Pellets and frankly I am not keen on them as the base of an Eclectus's diet but I do feed Viggo Pellets.

My choice is Harrison's Lifetime. These are my 3 choices.


I switch up between the Harrison's Course and the Fine to give change. The Course are larger and great for stuffing into foraging puzzles and Viggo likes to hold them in his feet and dunk them in his water dish. Dunking sucks and produces a gross smell if the water is left for any amount of time. The fine are like a seed and leave much less mess. Super fine I find is just too small. When I can get my hands on a 1lb bag of Pepper lifetime I do for a switch up and because Viggo enjoys spicy foods.

I used to offer Harrison's treats but Viggo put on grams quickly even in small amounts and with being active. It concerned me so I decided to discontinue offering them to him as a treat and have opted for other options.

Diet is a big topic for Eclectus and we all have our own ways of feeding that work for us and our birds. I go with what works for Viggo and his vet visits show he's healthy as can be with no concerns in any area so I have not modified what works for us. If I was told there was any area of concern I would make necessary diet changes.

I have fed Viggo a diet compiled mostly of fresh raw vegetables, fruit and sprouts since he was a baby. Occasionally for him are egg, chicken, salmon, bird bread, cooked mash's and pellets. The last two are fed less than the rest.

Being in Canada and having a colder climate with less opportunity for outdoor time I feel it's important to offer pellets in small doses through the winter months to ensure he is getting necessary vitamins and minerals. I have been feeding Harrison's lifetime pellets since he first arrived and his health has always been bar none impressive to say the least.

If considering a pellet for your Eclectus avoid colored pellets at all costs and go natural. Personally I suggest Harrison's Lifetime. Many Eclectus groups that I am a part of also recommend TOPS (Totally Organic). As I have never fed Viggo these I am only mentioning as another option based on other's high opinions of this pellet for Eclectus. So I will provide the ingredients of both.

Here's the ingredient list for Harrison's Lifetime:

*Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Hull-less Barley, *Hulled Grey Millet, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, *Ground Alfalfa, *Ground Rice, *Chia Seed, Calcium Carbonate, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin E Supplement, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Sea Salt, *Sunflower Oil, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, *Algae Meal, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Carbonate, *Vegetable Oil.
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 14%, crude fat (min.) 6%, crude fiber (max.) 4.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.


Here's the ingredient list for TOPS (Totally Organic):


Certified Organic Ingredients: Rice, hulled millet, barley, alfalfa leaf, sunflower seed hulled, sesame seeds, quinoa whole, buckwheat hulled, dandelion leaf powder, carrot powder, spinach leaf powder, purple dulse, kelp, rose hips powder, rose hips crushed, orange peel powder, lemon peel powder, rosemary whole leaf, cayenne ground, crushed red chili peppers, nettle leaf.
Guaranteed Analysis: Protein min 13%, Crude Fiber min 12%, Fat min 7%. Contains NO BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin. NO artificial colors, flavors, vitamins, preservatives, or sucrose/sugar. GMO free. Does NOT contain any animal products, or by-products. Do not feed old or moldy food.


My opinion on diet is that fresh fruits and vegetables make up the majority along with sprouts for Eclectus, but if you do choose pellets do your own research and go with what works for you and your feathered friend. Instead of offering colored pellets offer a wide aray of colored foods like blueberries, strawberries, papaya, yams, peppers and so much more. Your Eclectus will thank you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment