VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Group Addiction

When I became a parront of an Eclectus, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined what owning an Ekkie could mean or amount to....having a fid is awesome!

Like seriously, journaling diet, hours of reading about the species and not just the Eclectus species but the different sub species like the Grand, Red Sided, Soloman Island, Vosamari and others. Making toys, making and baking BIRD food, cleaning a cage, scrubbing walls...floors...oh and can't forget the ceiling, how food gets there only Viggo knows. I've joined email groups where like a proud parent of a child we discuss our Ekkies diet, behavior, words they say and phrases, their poop....what's safe and what's not, what's new, what we should try....

Most recently (a few months ago) I joined a couple groups on Facebook AKA Crackbook. What dominates my feeds now? Eclectus posts where other owners share stories, pictures, ask questions, answer, share diet information and anything else under the sun that you can think of. They have been both helpful and consuming. My feed is bombarded by other crazy bird owners (I am one) bragging about their babies as I do mine and my friends and their children's pictures and pet pictures have gone to the way side or been passed over or missed in the sea of red and green feathered fids. Don't let them know though....for to them having a parrot is crazy enough.

The biggest topic of discussion is ALWAYS diet when it comes to these gems. On groups where many (we're talking thousands) meet to share resources and information discussions can become quite heated. In the last two days alone there have been members of these groups banned for disrespecting others. I've known this for quite a long time though when it comes to diet for this species. Talking about it anywhere be it an email list, in person, online group, you name it, you face other very opinionated Ekkie owners. It's like the saying, avoid discussion about religion, money and politics. While it's important to the health and wellness of these beauts it's also something to be carefully worded and not in any opinionated way. This might be a good post to help some understand why I post that I feed the way that works for us. Not everyone will agree with how I feed, especially so when it comes to the pellets, the rest of his diet is pretty standard for most Eclectus. There are times and places where I will avoid mention of pellets all together based on the crowd of people or audience to avoid being berated by others.

Diet aside, these lists and groups are amazing as I have utilized what I learn from others and their experiences to aid in my trials in a life of green with my brat. I highly recommend joining a group if you get any species of parrot.

It's comical actually to see some of the posts or videos. Right now the ones that are really eye catching to me are those that relate to the path I'm heading down with Viggo. So anyone posting about hormones and harnesses and you'll catch me reading and posting.

Can you treat an old dog new tricks?

On the group it sounds like the older Eclectus take longer if at all to adjust to the harnesses and fight them or all together avoid them. This gives me hope and some discouragement and the harness hasn't even arrived. For the time being though the stories are quite amusing and have me looking forward to this new adventure.

I'm also finding amusement in reading about all the hormonal Ekkies both male and female. I remember well our girl being hormonal. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being super broody and hormonal our girl was a 15! She was always trying to nest or find dark places. She'd scream, charge, lunge, bite, eat...eat...eat some more, pull feathers, scream. So these posts from other owners of females bring back memories for us of our own. I almost died laughing tonight when the posts all seemed to be on males regurgitating all over the house on anything and everything. Regurg smears all over the house, a household norm...one said. Own a parrot and many of these shared stories are so true. Again as I look at my boy I'm thinking...this isn't so bad, I guess it could be worse, but that's not an invitation for worse! I don't wish to see what that could be like. I'm glad his wood toy gets fed instead of everything else in my house. I am also reading about other males acting out towards other family members in the same way Viggo did towards my oldest daughter. So I know this is not just my bird acting out in a concerning way.

Hormones really bring out the Jekyll and Hyde in these otherwise sweet boys. Whatever I learn through blogging and looking back and trial and error...in regulating sleep and switching diet, in avoiding physical contact which in turn gives a false invitation, in keeping Viggo busy by distracting through clicker training, whatever I find that works, you can promise I will share. If it helps me, I hope too it can help others. Sharing information and breeding knowledge can be the kicker when it comes to owners considering re homing.

While I cannot speak for other species owners I can say that Eclectus owners are very passionate! I seemed to have gotten myself a new addiction here with joining an Eclectus chat group which I am sure aside from being hooked on my Ekkie will prove valuable and in the long run provide many gains in the way of new found friends and secure knowledge that will help aid me in progressing even further with my care of Viggo. I have only had him for 10 years and know I could have many more ahead. Thankfully I have found myself a place where some have had their Eclectus far longer and carry wisdom and knowledge I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment