VIGGO

VIGGO
Red Sided Eclectus Male

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hormonal Update - Progress perhaps?

Update....
 
Well diet has been playing a big part around here this last bit. We've been focusing on veggies, raw veggies and lots of greens. Sprouts are a staple so those of course are always partnered with his veggies.

Lately his chop has consisted of:

Green Peppers
Red Peppers
Jalapeno
Kale
Spinach
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Corn
Carrots
Celery
Beets

with a sprinkle of Cayenne and flax seed :)


Additionally every 2 days I am giving him small amounts of fruit. Today he received half a Passion Fruit. The other day he got a small amount of banana sprinkled with cinnamon. I often rotate hemp seed and flax seed as a garnish so to speak.

Today I offered Viggo a small chunk of the tip of a leaf of my Aloe plant. I saw on an Eclectus group I am part of that it's ok for them to eat this.  I also learned that Eucalyptus is ok as well for Viggo to eat. Viggo wanted no part of the Aloe and has been staring at it. I will offer another time. This often happens with him. The more I offer foods eventually like a child he will bend and try the new food. For anyone with a rescue or re homed Ekkie or any other bird note this as many will not initially touch foods and may look at them as if you have just placed poison in their cage. TIME! Eventually they all try it. Bribe them by putting bits of nuts on top or mixed in or seed...something that they love. Never give up on feeding your parrot fresh!

When owning a parrot you can never know enough and there is always new things to learn. I love that!

Each day for an hour I am finding that he expends a large amount of energy flying upstairs and then back down. This new energy burst up and down is amazing to watch. During this time he's trying new flight paths, twisting and turning and pressing the limit that he's able to go within the confines of a house. Burning energy during hormones....That's a good thing. :) He's always been active with flight but this is new and he appears to be having a lot of fun.


I decided today that I would purchase Viggo a flight harness. I have it ordered and should have it in the next week or so. That will be a whole new post as Viggo has never been harnessed let alone restrained from being able to just go. I wanted to work with him on it and get him comfortable indoors and give enough time before warm days of spring. This way when I go outside to read on the deck he can perch on a chair or my shoulder with me or be with me while I garden. He will still go in his Pak-o-bird carrier for walks on the ridge though due to hawks and eagles we so often see there.

So far the only real change I have noticed in this short time is that he is not attempting to turn me into his mate every second of every minute that he is out of his cage. In fact he's mellowed out. That said I also took advice of the pages I read on hormones and have ceased and desisted on stroking, patting, kissing or any other affectionate touch. For the time being at least.

He is still regurgitating but does that mid day and prior to his 'gym time' or energy release of flying up and down. So I guess even his regurgitating has to some degree calmed down a bit.

All this said it's been a very short time. I will continue to watch, note and update his behaviors. As I am in Canada he could also be coming out of his hormonal moment. Time will tell.

I have not gotten him a sleep cage just yet. I have been on the look out and have inquired about a few cages that could work for what I am looking for but have yet to commit. I did order the Clicker Training Book today that I used with great success in the past. I'm ready to welcome the distraction of change and learn new things with Viggo along the way.

Our bird sitter suggested that I also look into a light source to help regulate seasons. I will touch base with her and see if she can order me one when she places an order for herself.

Owning a parrot is very much like having children...a learning curve, ups, downs, attitude, temper tantrums, moods, hormones, cost...accessories..time......the list is never ending. I am glad I decided so many years ago though to go with an Eclectus. I really enjoy this species.

Here are some pictures I found of a few dishes I have made. Keep in mind that these are not from recent as we have cut back fruit. I thought I would post them however as diet is crucial to overall Eclectus health and their dishes always look so pretty with the abundance of color. If only we humans could look at our plates in a similar way and be excited to eat such a color palate of foods.

 
Stay tuned...the adventures of hormones will report again!

No comments:

Post a Comment